Cricut Design Space + Watercoloring: Happy Birthday Floral Card

Hello Friends! I know I have not posted anything crafty for some time but as you know in life we have to prioritize what we need to do. I am finally at a point where I can start sharing with you again...yeah! I love my Cricut Explore and what I can do with her but I have been thinking outside the box of how I can use it for other mediums I am interested in. I did some testing and found I could create watercolor panels in Cricut Design space...WHAT! The Cricut Design Space Link is available at the end of this post. Here is a link to my YouTube video on how I painted this panel: https://youtu.be/-aUBU5bbFxc


                                                  Here are a picture of supplies I used.

I used Strathmore cold press 140 lb. watercolor paper and let me say the Cricut Explore cut it out without any difficulty. You need to use Custom Setting and search for watercolor paper; you will need to use the green Standard Grip mat.

 To draw out the design I used the Cricut 0.3 tip in black; this held up against all the water and never smudged (since the watercolor paper is so dense I did let my panel sit for a while before water coloring). Unfortunately, the colored Cricut fine tip pens are not water resistant; I will be doing a review on the pens soon. I used Ranger paint brushes in 2 and 9; I used the 9 brush for mixing paint colors and the 2 brush for actual painting. For my watercolors I used Crayola watercolor paints; I am excited to try my Kuretake Gansai Tambi watercolors with this technique.

Other supplies I used was a simple hardboard clipboard I purchased from Walmart and some painters tape. This is used to tape the watercolor panel down to decrease warping and it really does work.
Important tip when removing the painters tape when you are done is to remove it at a flat angle to prevent tearing of the watercolor panel - see below. 


You will notice when the watercolor panel cuts out there is a white border, this will act as a guide for tape placement and for cutting.


When the panel is cut out it will measure slightly under 4.25" x 5.5". I used a green panel which measures 4.25" x 5.5" as an accent piece. And I used a standard A2 top folding landscape card base.

This was so much fun to create and I have so many ideas to share. So, be sure to follow this blog and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

Here is the video showing how I painted my card or click Here: https://youtu.be/-aUBU5bbFxc



Cricut Design Space file: https://design.cricut.com/#/design/83964076

Please, let me know what you think and if you try this process share it on my Facebook page. If you have any questions, please, let me know. All images used to create this watercolor panel are available if you have Cricut Access.

Happy Crafting!
Kimberly Michelle

Comments

Popular Posts